Monday 19 August 2013

Why I Believe in the Bible

~J.M.J~

If you asked me, "Why should I believe in the Bible?" to be honest, I have no satisfactory answer for you. But if you asked me "Why do YOU believe in the Bible?" I am very clear on that. And here is my answer:

Because I believe that someone powerful (i.e. God) is truly present in the Holy Eucharist through my many deep encounters with this Sacrament. And when I finally questioned the validity of the Bible (why follow the Bible and not the scriptures of other religions), I could only answer: because the Bible teaches the Eucharist is the Real Presence of Jesus Christ, who is God, and I have experienced for myself that those teachings are true. In a similar light, I place my faith in the Catholic Church.

Twisted? How can faith be built upon one Sacrament rather than the Word of God? Actually, my path of faith is perfectly reconcilable with the teachings of the Church. CCC 1324 states, 'The Eucharist is the "source and summit of Christian life."' That the Eucharist is my source of Christian life is a fitting description of my journey of faith, since my faith in all the other aspects of this Christian faith is built on it. All Christians agree that faith should be grounded in Christ. And this is how my faith is.

Therefore, it follows that I either be Catholic, or not Christian at all. Because if I were to renounce the Real Presence, my faith in the Bible and all the other tenets of Christianity will be thrashed with it.

Certainly, I cannot rely solely on Eucharistic Adoration to increasing my faith. The Sacrament of Silence remains silent most of the time; I only heard Him once. Therefore, it is absolutely necessary to listen to Scripture, where the voice of the Sacrament of Silence is more audible, and thus increase my love for and knowledge in God. Yet, I spend time with Him in the Sacrament of Silence because presence is essential in any relationship.

Yes, it was indeed by the words of the Word Incarnate that mere bread and wine transformed (and thenceforth still be transformed) into His own Body and Blood. Precious are the words that He spoke, yet more precious is the Gift those words brought about - the Gift of Himself to us.

Adoro Te devote, latens Deitas,
Quæ sub his figuris vere latitas:
Tibi se cor meum totum subjicit
Quia Te contemplans totum deficit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment, but please be charitable about it. And please correct me for any doctrinal errors I may have made in this blog. Thank you.